Saturday, January 7, 2012

Day 5: Little Blue Table


From January 5, 2012

Little Blue Table, a soft pastel on 6x6 Pastelbord.

1. He's the quick rough starter sketch executed primarily in local colors with Prismacolor hard sticks.

2. I got deeper and deeper into the creative zone as I began to take the rough shape sketch into what was meant to be only a shape-filling exercise. I began simply enough, and haven't used the harder pastels to take an underpainting this far in a very long time. I attribute that to a love/hate relationship with the harder pastels--they really need to have the right surface to perform well in my hands. Anyway, I had fun creating contour shading in the well-weathered couch and creating the rippled surface on the ceramic vase in the background. I'm still deciding whether I want to build the brocade surface on the couch or the tiled pattern on the table. Must be time for a late lunch break!

3. I whipped out the softer pastels to enrich shadows, create the wood grain on the pottery shelves, and build the tiled pattern on the table. I need to deepen the shadows below the potter shelf and the table (on the side of the wooden shelf). I'm not completely used to painting from indoor photos shot with a heavy-duty flash...a number of things are lit far more intensely than they would be under natural (or unnatural) room lighting.

4. I updated shadows and grout lines on the table. There are some perspective issues on the pottery shelf, but I've overworked the Pastelbord in that area, so there limitations to corrections that I can make there. I'll try on more correction and then accept it "as is".

5. The corrections done here surrounded the shape of the pottery, corrections to the perspective of the shelf, and some adjustments to the tile tabletop. I know that I'll revisit this topic and focus on the brocade of the couch!

No comments: