Friday, January 20, 2012

Day 20: Retrieving (another oil pastel)


Retrieving, an oil pastel on 8x10 Art Spectrum Colourfix paper.

1. I blocked in the primary structure by using the flat end of the Holbein oil pastels in a range of tans and reds, then built up the shadows in the hair and began adding the waves to the water.

2. I loved the reflection of the ball in the water in the source image, so I've brought that broken reflection into the idealized waves. I continue to build and correct the anatomy of this happy little golden retriever.

3. I've fixed the lip of the dog so that it better overhangs the ball and work on the forehead. I continued adding variety to the colors in the water, being sure to leave the paper color show through and work with smooth strokes to match the fluidity of the waves.

4. In this part, I brought in the canine's canines (I HAD to write that) and a couple molars in the back of its mouth, as well as adding structure to its gums, lips, nose, end eye. If you're never seen (or heard) a retriever breathing as it swims back to shore with it's lovely tennis ball prize, it sounds a lot like an steam engine, so as it exhales, there is water spritz.

5. I added back some of the shadows for the tennis ball and the reflections from the dog's coat. I'll leave this sit for a little while before coming back to it and doing some final touches, but I had a lot of fun creating this little piece. Woof-woof!

6. In this final part, I focused on correcting anatomical and perspective sniglets. The lower canines were originally placed too close together, the nostrils needed some adjustments, the slope of the snout was slightly off, and the eye was a little wonky. In making those corrections, I also noticed that the wet hair needed to carry a little more weight and get a little bit curly around the ears. Subtle, yes, but necessary! Can you imagine this happy guy bringing the ball back, coming out of the lake, and totally shaking all that water off? I can!

No comments: