Friday, January 13, 2012

Day 12: The Apple

January 12, 2012

The Apple, a soft pastel with Conte pencil sketch and watercolor and gouache underpainting on 6x6 Art Spectrum Colourfix sanded brick red paper.

1. In today's adventure, I wanted to do more of a value/hue underpainting with pigment that soaked into the surface of the paper before I began filling it up with pastels. I really like how this underpainting looks, especially for the apple and the two main leaves. The highlights are just about as light s they need to be, and there's an opportunity to lay in some rich darks to get the background to recede.

2. I got in "the zone" working on this without taking lots of photos along the way, but making tremendous progress. To build the structure of the apple, I did lots of blended layers, working to get both the matte and shiny portions of the apple to come to life and retain the itty bitty spot across the lit and shadowy portions. The tree branches in the background are heavily laden with lichens, which is an interesting texture to try to represent. There are parts of this that are absolutely finished and some that are less so. My left brain wants to take all of them to completion and my right brain is screaming no, no, NO, leave it alone just as it is! I believe today I will happily defer to the right brain.

No comments: