Wednesday, March 28, 2007

All Boxed Up

Abstract Coaster by Edna M. Kunkel designed using alcohol inks Today I resumed experimenting with dyes, this time with Procion MX dyes as stains for my wooden boxes. The experiments went so well that they will be used as the containers for my abstract marble coasters (see coaster image at left), and I'll continue using this staining technique on other wood projects. I'll do the finish work on the boxes tomorrow, and take photos of the boxed sets for posting tomorrow.

I also found out that the salt resist technique with my alcohol inks and PrintWorks Ultra Glossy Photo paper (the only type of photo paper I've found with a surface that will crackle) Crackle Box with abstract box top designed by Edna M. Kunkelwill actually exacerbate the crackling process, and will allow me to control how much. Cool! I recently stocked up on this paper, which has become increasingly difficult to find (only one online vendor actually had the paper in stock). I guess that these Crackle Boxes will be limited edition boxes, based on the fact that that this photo paper has a bad reputation for long dry times (which for my crackling process is actually a benefit).